Monday, December 27, 2010

Upgrading the Exhaust System

After installing the intake filter, next to be upgraded is the exhaust system. Since more air is being pushed into the engine, I must find a way to efficiently let all that air out.

There are three parts to this system:

1. Headers - collects all exhaust gases from the cylinders, and funnels it into the next part;
2. Pipe - the long tube running the length of the car
3. Muffler - the part where all the silencing takes place

Research has taught me that the key to an efficient engine is to have the exhaust gases go out of the system as fast as possible. To do that, you must have sufficient exhaust velocity. To do this, you must have the right headers/pipe/exhaust diameter for your engine displacement. Rule of thumb is 2-inches for 1.3-1.6L naturally aspirated engines, 2.5" for 1.8-2L engines, 3" and above for F.I./Turbo engines.

My EG hatch build is a simple one, so sticking to OEM is the key to get quality and effective parts. 
Darwin of HCP has a surplus EG6 full exhaust (pipe and muffler) for around P5,500. This is a good addition to my car because first, it is bolt-on; second, it's more than 2" in diameter -- perfect for my new engine displacement (1.6L compared to the 1.3L of the stock PH12).

Comparison of my old 1.5-1.75 inch PH12 pipe and new EG6 pipe:


Had it installed in Mufflerland Kamuning for P800 bucks.





But of course, I get what I paid for. Installation was not perfect; welds are not clean, seems like an amateur install. If I have a chance, I'll have this re-installed by a more "pro" shop. Please suggest your favorite muffler shop here in the east/north in the comments.

2 comments: